Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Legacy You Leave, Is The Life You Lead.






Yesterday, my mom and I visited an older gentle man who has been a family friend of ours since before my time. Over coffee and apple pie, we caught up on the recent weeks and exchanged stories from the past. We talked about everything from the Korean War to the obituaries in last Sunday’s paper. After much discussion, he remembered seeing Mrs. Jackson’s picture listed under the death notices and was very curious for the reason behind her passing. He could remember her from way back in the Fifties as a woman of many dresses and pearls. She was a considerate woman, who was patient and mindful of others. Unselfishly, her intentions went beyond herself as she always put others first. Just last week, they came across each other’s path in the general store. In the checkout line, they happened to recognize each other. After a friendly introduction, they traded life stories and tried to catch up on the years gone by. As far as he was aware, she was the same kindhearted person she was sixty years ago.

On another note, the older gentle man we visited, Harold, was turning 82 years old. Over the twenty years that I have come to know him, he has always been a satisfied man. He was always up before the break of dawn attending to his cattle, and once the heat index increased, you would find him out in the pasture haying. He never complained about the weather or responsibilities that needed to be accomplished that day. Although he won’t admit to it, his health and physical abilities are going down hill. The day that I read His death notice in the paper, my heart will be filled with much agony and sorrow. I will remember Harold as a thoughtful man, just as He remembered Mrs. Jackson as a kindhearted woman.

With all of these remembrance thoughts making circles in my head, I began to seriously contemplate as to how people would remember me after my time here on Earth is over. Was I the woman of integrity that I pictured I was? Was I generous enough to put others in front of me? What would define me? Is it the trophies, belt buckles, ribbons? All of these questions began to spin almost out of control to the point that I reflected on the concepts that meant the most to me. But in reality do they really mean that much in the big picture of everything?

Is it the belt buckles, ribbons, and trophies of past horse shows and rodeos that defines who I am? They are prof that it was my life just a few years ago. Do accomplishments that I achieve define who I am? People often pass me and ask if I still have the mare paint horse who I barrel raced, pole bended, and learned roped off of. Together we did win many competitions, but is it those winnings that people are going to remember me by? Some riders are High School State Champion team ropers; placers in top ten at High School Nationals; are leaders the Mid-States Rodeos; National Finals Rodeo participants; and placers, but is it these moments that ultimately define them? At your gravesite, how should your headstone read? Is it champion steer wrestler, team roper, and genuine cowboy or is it something of character?

After slowing down my mind, the fog began to lift and the thoughts were clear. I began to realize that for me, the power of change was insight. When people look at me, I want them to see the beauty of my heart, the love that I carry for others, and the friendship and devotion I have with the Lord. Barrel racing, pole bending, roping, riding for fun, the ribbons, belt buckles, and trophies are what I do to satisfy myself and make ends meet. So, I ask myself, “How would your headstone read if you were to go tomorrow?” It would state “Child.Daughter.Sister” in that precise order. I am a child of God, daughter to my mother and father, and a sister to my siblings.
It is fair to say, that the legacy you leave, is the life you lead. How would your headstone read?



“All flesh is like grass, and all its glory like the
 flower of the field; the grass withers, and the
 flower wilts; but the word of the Lord remains 
forever.”

-1 Pet 1:23-25

2 comments:

  1. My headstone would read as follows: "Child. Son. Brother.". Sounds familiar? It surely does! It's truly by God's grace that we can leave that kind of legacy behind. No matter what we accomplish in this life, it is the seeds of godly character that will last a lifetime and into eternity. Thanks for sharing the awesome story Bobbi! God bless you and keep you always!...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Amircar Diaz! Your comments mean a lot!! Have a great day and God Bless you!

      Delete