Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Fear Can Be A Friend


"Honor everyone, Love the brotherhood. Fear God..." 1 Peter 2:17

This week during my regular workout session at my local fitness center there was a few gals that walked in all fit to the 9's. Great definition, very toned, and agile in their routes. At that moment I began to think back to my heavy lifting days in college athletics when I was in great shape. Back then, it was routine, after the warm up and lighter sets, I would begin to gradually load on the heavy plates, tighten the belt, and then the fire of fear would build inside of me.

By the time I put my belt on and chalked-up, it was an inferno. I was in the zone. A deep inhale through the nose and then I'd get under the bar for battle. Indeed, I respected the bar too much to not respect it. Simply put, fear dictated my posture for the moment, kept me sharp, alert, strong. Fear was a friend

"When the Bible talks about fearing the Lord, it's not referring to a scary fear -- it is talking about a reverence, an awe, a holy respect that brings wisdom. When we seek Him daily in prayer and Bible study, we gain wisdom from a love that's born through awesome fear. As Christians with a mind for health, our fear of the Lord should dictate our posture -- first in our kneeling and quiet times, and then in how we conduct ourselves in humility and diligence. Our fear of the Lord is what separates us from other fitness enthusiasts or athletes. In other words, we respect Him too much not to. Fear keeps us sharp, alert, strong. Make no mistake, fear can be a friend." - Jimmy Pena

The lingering question that I was left with to consider is, "What do I fear more, not getting the approval and applause of others or not having God's approval? And is my life as a health-minded believer a posture that proves it?"

The grace and forgiveness that God has granted me, which I do not deserve, makes me afraid to disappoint him and allows me to live righteously everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment