Friday, March 7, 2014

On The Other Side Of The Stuggle

On The Other Side Of The Struggle

Day 3 in Los Angeles, California


This morning I woke up to a text message from a college friend explaining to me that her grandmother had passed away last night. Throughout our years of school together, she had told me that her grandmother was battling alzheimers. Over the past couple of years, it was evident that the disease was worsening. This is a hard situation to deal with, as I too have witnessed it take over my great grandmother’s life. 

Almost 7 years ago, I lot my great grandma to alzheimers. Throughout her pain, it was easy to look at the negative aspects of all that the disease had done to her and what it had taken away from us, her family. There were memories of the last year I spent with her that I wouldn’t trade for anything. From playing cards to talking about her children and husband, some who I never got the chance to meet. Although she couldn’t remember the card number or suit, she did remember the stories from long ago. In the moment of her last hours, I was terrified. This woman meant so much to me; however, after she took her last breath, I felt a sense of peace. Even though I never got to meet the people she talked about in her stories, I began to know them very well through her stories.

During the years of the struggle it’s hard to look beyond the negative, but on the other side of the challenge is a beautiful understanding of stories, people, and places I would have other wise never heard of. Looking back it’s still hard not to cry, but I have a great peace knowing that she is in heaven with her Father.

Dear Lord,
I pray that you wrap those who are in the midst of their struggle with comfort and peace. I pray that even through the hard time they seek to find the positive of the situation.
Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment